Sunday, October 02, 2005


I read Amy Bloom's book Normal. It is about her interviews with transsexuals, crossdressers, hermaphrodites, the intersexed, doctors, parents, activists, and other folks. It is the first book I have read about transgender people. It has increased my knowledge about what we go through.
I though Bloom did a decent job interviewing the crossdressers. She could have presented more positive interviews of CDs who really love their lives. I felt she interviewed the transsexuals at arm's length. Bloom seemed to be uncomfortable in their presence and may have underestimated the psychological changes transsexuals go through. She did a good job with the hermaphrodites. I don't know much about the intersexed, so I will have to find out more about this community.
On a scale of one to ten, I rate this book a six and one-half. It is a good book for someone new to the transgender community. Normal can be improved on with more people who enjoy their diversity and more in-depth interviews.

No comments: