Wednesday, June 24, 2020

TEACHING MOMENT

The knocking down of statues is stupid and wrongheaded. What does it prove? Does it solve any problems? These statues and other monuments can be a teaching moment. Most of the statues I see I don't know who most of them are. If I'm interested I will research the person. 

It's come to a point of these zealots are telling you what to believe, how to think, and what to say. I do NOT subscribe to this! My parents taught me and my siblings to think for ourselves.  People are entitled to their own thoughts and opinions. It's called free speech. I'm appalled that conservatives' voices are being censored. I like to hear different viewpoints and maybe come to a resolution of an issue. This is what learning is. 

Every person that has a statue has flaws as well as strengths. Theodore Roosevelt was independent, created the conservation laws we have today protecting our lands. He was also an imperialist and militarist. Winston Churchill is looked upon as a hero and statesman. He was also an unapologetic racist. Gandhi was a great leader but was abusive with his own family. Yes, Georg Washington was a slaveholder but he was also one of the founding fathers of America. Yes, they all had faults. One can learn from them and not go in the same direction.


No comments: