Sunday, May 31, 2009

Buzzwords and Gobblty Gook

I have been following the many events regarding marriage equlity and protections for transgender people. I have looked at both sides of the issues. The excuses given for denying people their rights are pretty lame ones at that.

My question is why is it so important to our foes that we all be straight? I'm perfectly happy as a transgender person. I have long made it a point not to be defined by anyone else.

Our foes have enacted the Defense of Marriage Act because they believe that they are saving it from oblivion. Well, marriage has survived many social upheavals. If they are so interested in 'saving' marriage why not work with the couples struggling with their marriages? Recently, I celebrated my 29th anniversary. My spouse and I love each other, respect one another, and enjoy being with each other. She knows that I am transgender and it has made us even closer.

Other buzz words are 'traditional marriage' and 'traditional values'. What's traditional in one culture may be something totally different in another culture. I am for traditional marriage but I am also for equality. Denying gay and lesbian couples the right to marry is wrong, plain and simple.

It has come to the point where I'm tired of people trying to tell me how I should live. The gender binary system is another control mechanism that has been the bane of transgender people. I will touch upon this in a future post because I have much to say about it.

to be continued...........


Genevieve


2 comments:

Kay & Sarah said...

You have made some very good points; too bad some people don't care to listen.
Sarah

genevieve said...

You're right about some, Sarah. Fortunately some have.