Thursday, May 07, 2009

Getting Facts Straight.

As I gather materials for my discussion about transgender issues, I see the importance of having my facts straight. One example is the use of transgendered for transgender. The former is an adjective while the former is a noun. Intersex is used instead of hermaphrodite (I can see why). Crossdresser is substituted for transvestite. It is mostly in the United States,  as transvestite is still used in Europe. 

Part of educating people about transgender issues is helping them to see why some terms are offensive to transgender people. Another is to hopefully demonstrate that transgender people are just like anyone else. We have dreams, desires, and needs. We desire decent jobs, housing, and the ability to pursue happiness.  Some think that we want special treatment but that is not the case. This wouldn't be an issue if all people were treated equally.

The church is where I would love to educate people about what it is to transgender and Christian. Some may think that it's an oxymoron. We were created by God just like he created straight folks. I just happen to be a transgender person. I'm excited about the upcoming discussion. I pray that more opportunities will come.

Genevieve

No comments: