Monday, June 12, 2006

This was the best weekend I have had as a transgender. On Friday, I attended my first LGBT film festival called Newfest. I saw two documentaries dealing with transgender women. The first film was called Sexualidad, which was 30 minute piece about transgender women in Cuba. This was the first sex education course formed there during the early stages of the AIDS epidemic. Their approach is to deal with the women as they express themselves. It is much superior to the narrow paradigm used here in America.

The main feature was called Cruel and Unusual. It was a documentary about transgender women in the prison system. The filmmakers interviewed them at various prisons around the country. Transgender women are housed with male inmates. They are subjected to harassment, rape, and physical violence by other inmates and some guards. The prison system has no clue about transgender issues. This film needs to be shown at community centers, schools, medical and law schools, prisons,and political consortums.

On Saturday I attended Brooklyn Pride which was my first pride event ever. I enjoyed myself and met a few interesting people. They was food, entertainment, information about various services. The evening concluded with the pride march. I hope to march in New York City pride if my schedule allows me.

Yesterday, I spend much of the day dressed as 'Genevieve'. I wore a skirt, sandals, and cami as I cleaned, cooked, and blogged. It was the longest that I have been dressed.

I will be attending more events this year. I want to be out more with my trans sisters. This past weekend, I felt that I was with family.

No comments: