Sunday, October 11, 2015

Hispanic/Indigenous Heritage Day

Today we celebrated Hispanic/Indigenous Heritage Day at church. Rich traditions and food were part of the celebration. Indigenous people are all over the world and have been for centuries. Places like Mexico, central and South America , Australia and North America have a rich indigenous heritage. I have indigenous blood in my ancestry (Choctaw).  

There was a spiritual ceremony of prayer, incense offerings, sage, and a reminder of what we must do for future generations. Land is the most valuable item for indigenous people and when it was stolen from us it affected many. What I see is a lack of respect and honor for a different culture. Many tribes are trying to hold onto whatever culture and customs they may have left. Sadly, other cultures have totally disappeared. Much of this was done in the name of progress.

I am mindful of the fact that my being transgender, or two-spirit if you will, has caused me to reflect on the journey I am on. It may not be easy but it's one that I must continue. To my Hispanic and Indigenous brothers and sisters, keep moving forward. 

No comments: