Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Loss

Last night at the trans women s group discussion, the topic was loss and what TGLB people face. One of the ladies who regularly attended or meeting passed away in late May. A couple of other women have suffered loss in recent months.

Many trans people have lost families, friends and livelihoods. While loss can be devastating at the time, it's not permanent. It's the closing of one door and the opening of another. When I came out as transgender it was the end of my life as I knew it. It was the birth of a new life. At the Transgender Day of Remembrance vigil we not only honor those we've lost but celebrate their lives. 

If anyone here has suffered the loss of a loved one, friend, or a pet, bereavement resources are available at numerous locales. I love about my group is that we support each other. Loss does hurt but the hurt is not permanent and can open up new doors. 

No comments: