Saturday, August 21, 2010

Transition Of the Mind

Today, I was at the laudromat doing the wash. While my clothes were spinning around in the machines I sat down at the table, notebook and pen in hand. I was about to write a short story about a man in search of his identity. However, when I tried to put words to paper I discovered that I could only present stories from the perspective of my transgender identity. It seems that another part of my transition had taken place. This one was between the ears.

I understand much more about the masculine and feminine mind. I'm no expert but much of what I'm discovering lines up with what I've felt all along. My transition is much deeper than I ever imaged. I feel a connection with the struggles of women, especially women of color. I also see that I must carry myself with dignity and self-respect. I'm thankful for parents who taught me that at a young age.

I can safely say now that I'm out on the sea of transition, not always knowing where I'm going but continue on I must.

~Genevieve

No comments: