Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Kicked Out

Yesterday, I was reading one of the forums I keep up with. I read where one person had been kicked out of his home by his mother. Did he do something horrible? Did he hurt anybody? No. He was kicked out becasue he was trans.

Whenever I read stories like this, it breaks my heart. It also reminds me that there still a long way to go in people's understanding of gender and sexuality. Too many people listen to the voices of hate and bigotry without even a thought. Parents sometimes blame themselves if their children's sexuality/gender identity is different from the so-called norm. Many times I ask what is the norm?

I encouraged the young man that this was a new beginning for him. As I prayed for him, I believe that his life will improve in time. I am praying that more will be done for LGBT people are helped and encouraged. I am taking a greater interest in refuting the bigoted rheotoric spewed by the mainstream media, churches, law enforcement, and the educational and social institutions. I can't sit still and listen to all this nonsense. It's time to take a stand.

Genevieve

No comments: