Friday, February 19, 2010

HATE KILLS THOSE WHO HARBOR IT

I wasn't going to post today but when I read this quote today, I had to comment.

Fear of something is at the root of hate for others, and hate within will eventually destroy the hater.

~George Washington Carver

When I mused over this quote from the African American inventor, I thought about the vitriol spewed at and about us by those who hate us. Over the past few years the level of hatred against transgender people has increased now that we're more visible. Many transgender people have been injured or murdered just because of who we are. The suicide rate among transgender people is very high.

What hurts me the most is that much of this hatred is spewed from the pulpits of many of our churches. We're are called 'depraved', mentally ill, sin, predators, and other nasty things. When I read and study my bible, I know without a doubt that this is Wrong! If I ever preached that God loves and accepts us as we are, no doubt I would be villified and tossed out of the church.

I have seen hate literally destroy people. They die from within because they refuse to acknowledge their own blind raage. It is not a pretty sight at all. With what's happening in places like Uganda, Jamaica, and other countries, I will be researching more about transgender history and the role that the church played in the persecution of transgender people.

Dr. Carver's quote reminds me not to hate those who persecute us but to pray for them. I pray that God would open their minds and hearts to see the errors of their ways.

Genevieve

No comments: