Tuesday, July 07, 2009

July My Month of Independence

America finished with the 4th of July festivities a few days ago. Four years I celebrated my independence by caming out as transgender and a crossdresser. I am a transgenderist today (TG/TS). It was one of the most liberating events of my life. I will share my testimony of my coming on the 26th.

TGLB folks are working to secure their independence from oppression, discrimination, and fear. Much has been accomplished, much more needs to be done. I have wondered why I came when I did (in my mid fifties)? I never had associated with the community up until I came out. In just the short time I have been out I have read, heard and seen how people's lives have been affected by destructive paradigms and laws. This has to change.

I am out in public constantly because I hope to educate the public that we exist. I refuse to be a victim because I have the same right to be myself as anybody else. It's amazing what happens when you decide to take a stand. Every crossroad I walked on has taken me to new horizons. This journey has revealed strengths inside of me I never knew were in me.

As I continue the trek, I will encounter new experiences. I welcome any thing that comes my way. If it will help someone else in their journey, then it's worth it.

Genevieve

No comments: