Tuesday, March 03, 2009

They Are Our Children

I read an article today by Suzan titled Not My Child. The article discusses about how many LGBT/T children are disowned by their families. These children are abused by the medical profession and institutions which wants to make them into something they are not.
Many of these children come to large metropolises and survive anyway they know how.

The author of this article (www.womenborntranssexual.com) lived as a sex worker, was addicted to drugs. She has seen friends die by OD's or violence. I ask myself how can any parent throw their flesh and blood to the wolves of debauchery and death because of their sexuality or gender identity? Sad to say that the trans community hasn't always stepped up on their behalf.

I see many youth at the community center in my city. Many stay there all day because it's a place where they feel safe. It's where they can be themselves. It's so sad that this one of the few places where they don't have to feel they are ostracized. I am applying for an internship to be a peer educator. Transgender communities of color are where there are great needs. My heart was touched when I found this oportunity on the website.

When I was working towards by bachelor's degree, oe reason I wanted to become an educator is to make a difference. Suzan's article brought it home to me that LGBT/T youth need for places where they can be safe. Some will need medical, psychiatric, and spiritual care. Many will need to learn marketable job skills and education. To me the greatest need is for these precious soul is be loved and accepted for who they are.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Hi Genevieve,
I have recently found your blog and have enjoyed reading everything so far. A friend and I went to a Christmas party (On Christmas day) for one of the LGBT Homeless shelters (SYLVIA’S PLACE), and I must say that I was touched. Till this day, one girl (Starr) still rings in my thoughts. I remember her smile, how she just came up to us and began to talk. She seemed to mingle with the crowd a lot so I missed talking to her as much as I'd like but I must say that she really left an impression on me.
That was the first Christmas in a long while that I felt like I could possibly make a difference. Since then I've decided to try and make a difference in some way for our community, specially the kids. Starr had to be no older than 15 I'd say and it is a shame that ANY kid at that age would have to stay at a homeless shelter. There are just to many of our trans kids, ike you said, are thrown out by there own parents for being true to themselves. It really is a shame that this happens, but it does. If I can give you a hand with anything in the future, please let me know. I feel that you wil be a great mentor to these kids.
Hugs Michelle

genevieve said...

Thank you for the kind words, Michelle. Haven't heard anything from the people as of yet. I'm keeping my options open.

Genevieve