Saturday, February 28, 2009

Uncharted Waters

Last night, I attend a gathering at a neighborhood gathering place. A video was shown about student activism during the early days of the civil right movement. Those young people were attacked and villified by the racist white power structure of Mississippi in the early 1960's. I was so proud of their courage in the face of almost certain death.

During the question and answer period I shared with gathering about my volunteerism. The question was asked about student activism then and the need for activism. I said that activism and volunteerism is needed now more than ever. Later as I reminisced the evening, I see that my decision last year to speak out against injustice is subtlely nudging me into unchartered waters.

I am pursuing an internship as a peer counselor at the community center. The position will be to counsel transgender people of color. I have been wanting to be more involved in the LGBT community and this seems to be a great opportunity. I remember saying to one of my professors in college that my goal is to teach. I stated that I don't believe that it will be in a traditonal setting. Looks like it's heading that way and I am glad.

Genevieve

No comments: