Monday, March 09, 2009

Kindred Spirits Who Are True to Themselves

This morning I read a story about a speech delivered at Fordham University (Lincoln Center campus) by E. Patrick Johnson, the author of Sweet Tea: Black Gay Men in the South. Gay and from the south himself, Johnson interviewed seventy men between the ages of 19 and 93.

One of the subjects he interviewed was a transgender woman named Chaz/Chastity. She dressed as a woman six days a week. Chaz considered gender reassignment surgery but embraced her gender confusion and indifference as God's will for her. What grabbed Johnson was the idea that Chaz was true to herself. It convinced the author that he needed to be true to himself as a gay man.

My heart leaped when I read Chaz' story because it has similarities to mine. I'm not going to have surgery but I wear women's clothing practically everyday. I have chosen to embrace my identity and see this as a blessing. Chaz stated that on Sunday he dresses as a man so he can sing tenor in his church choir. I dress as a man when I attend church (I'm a terrible singer).

I pondered over this, I believe that Chaz and I are kindred spirits. We have chosen to be true to ourselves. We are transgender women. It's refreshing to know that there are millions of transgender women like us. It's a reason to celebrate and be proud.

No comments: