Monday, June 11, 2007

I attended Brooklyn Pride this past Saturday. It was my second pride event that I attended (the first time was last year) and I felt much more comfortable this time around. There were more vendors, plenty of food, and families.

One thing I noticed was the number of religious institutions present. Last year there were not even a handful. This time there 6 or 8 including three Jewish synagogues. It's amazing what one year can bring. Maybe they're beginning to see the light. Brooklyn has a large LGBT population but it's scattered.

I asked a number of questions to various organizations. I was particularly interested in Lambda Legal, an organization that focuses on workplace discrimination. It also is involved with schools of which I will be part of in the future. I'm querying about how I can serve LGBT students.

No comments: