Saturday, November 13, 2021

THOUGHTS FROM A TRANSGNDER VETERAN

I attend the Veterans Day parade religiously every year. Each year I trek downtown to pay homage to my fellow veterans. As I watched the contingent of Korean veterans march by, it reminded me of how they encouraged me to participate and share my story.

I served in the U.S. Army at Fort Riley, Kansas in the First Meddac Division (1971-1974). I was a pharmacy tech. I never went overseas but the experience of being a part of something greater than myself was life-changing. I didn't know that I was transgender until 2005 but maybe it was better that I didn't. 

Men and women of all sexualities and identities have served in the armed forces with dignity. The ban on transgender people serving was wrong-headed and stupid. I am proud to have served my country. I am proud to be a transgender veteran.  

No comments: