Thursday, January 24, 2019

TRANS BAN-A BAD IDEA

I served three years in the military (army) in the early 1970s. I am proud of my service to the country. I did not know that I was trans until 2005. Still I feel feel an affinity to trans service members currently serving. 

What the ban is saying is that trans people do not have the capacity to serve. There's the idea to trans people are mentally unstable. They said that about gays and lesbians. The difference is that trans people are visible. With nearly fifteen thousand trans people currently services they have proven that they are capable of performing their tasks. One can choose not disclose their sexual orientation. Identity is in plain sight. 

I worked in the pharmacy during my tour of duty and performed well. There are many gifted and talented men and women who may be drummed out of the military simply because of who they are. Many are in sensitive positions that are not to fill. The military has a quota to fill every month. Will they fill it with people who are less qualified? I hope not.

In the end everyone loses. The men and women not allowed to serve their country because who they are. The current service members who can see that trans people can and are good soldiers. The military loses because gifted people who can improve the services will not be allowed to display those skills. The ban on trans service members- a bad idea.

No comments: