Saturday, September 30, 2017

Commentary-Anthem

It's been a long time since the national anthem has sparked so much conversation. Predominantly black players in the NFL are refusing to stand during the playing of the anthem because of the injustice done to black people as a whole. 

I'm playing devil's advocate here. A few points to be considered. I am black. I stand for the playing of the anthem(always have). While I don't particularly agree with what they are doing I understand their position. Second point is that the country has been this way before. Muhammad Ali refusing induction into the military in 1967.  Tommie Smith and John Carlos raising clenched fists at the 1968 Olympics.  When I was in junior college in 1968 and 1969 black student did not stand at the play of the anthem much to the chagrin of the predominantly white audience.

What I notice is that white folks get really angry when black folks do this. They may say that they are hurting our men and women serving in the military. I was in the army in 1971 during the Vietnam era. Protests were happening almost every day. It didn't affect me one bit. For years I've heard people say if you don't like America, then leave. Why? Theirs and mine ancestors came here in chains and were subjected of some of the harshest treatment. 

I'm sure some have said why should I stand for the anthem when America hasn't respected me as a person? A valid question. Some will say that they are just spoiled brats who don't appreciate what they can have in America. Some of these players come from some rough backgrounds where drugs, violence and poverty were rampant. Another point is that just because a few people have found success does not mean that the masses are have, far from it. One needs to remember after the game the players still live in society. That's why when someone says 'just shut up and play' is, in my mind, is a stupid and ignorant comment.

I mentioned earlier that I was in the service. I attend the Veteran's Day parade every year. I have marched in it and now view it as a spectator. I served to preserve the freedoms we enjoy. I served so that white supremacists had to right to protest though their message is deplorable. The anthem protests are also people exercising their free speech. This is what America is about. 

I still believe that there are many white folks who really don't know what black people have to go through on a daily basis. It seems that people are going to tribal warfare and that is not good for anyone. I would love to discuss this topic with anyone who cares to. 

As I also mentioned earlier, I'm just playing devil's advocate. 

No comments: