Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Transgender Day Of Remembrance 2014

On Thursday evening I will attend the Transgender Day of Remembrance vigil at the community center here. I'm not sure if it get easier attending but I go nevertheless. I usually encourage the audience, sharing my experiences and at the same time challenging them to be who they are. 

This has been a tough year for transgender people especially in the last five months. With increased visibility has come attacks verbally and physically from politicians, churches, anti-trans groups and others. It won't stop us though. We've always existed and have a right to be treated with dignity and respect. 


This year I'm dedicating my TDOR day to Alex Medeiros who was beaten to death by his father to make a man out of him. Alex liked to wear his hair long, belly dance, and wear women's clothing . Alex was 8 years old.  

No comments: