Monday, September 23, 2013

RETIREMENT DINNER

Last night my wife and I attended a retirement dinner honoring the senior minister of our church. Many people came to pay their homage to a man whom they loved and cherished. We dined at an Italian restaurant in the Bronx. There were coctails, a five course dinner, music, a skit, and words of praise.

When we arrived at the church nearly two years ago, we felt at home when we walked through the door. That has never happened to me personally. I learned much later that Pastor Charlie was instrumental in the congregation being opening and accepting a few years earlier. What he did took courage and coviction. Some folk left while many stayed. I have noticed that more young people and families have filled the pews and become members.

When I shared with him that I was transgender, he welcomed me with open arms. Later, I came out to the whole congregation as Gennee. At the end of the affair, I shared with him how much I appreciated him and making my wife and I feel welcomed.

No comments: