Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy Birthday MLK

On this day eighty four years ago one of greatest champions for human rights was born. Martin Luther King is one man that I admire because he stood up for the poor and oppressed. He demonstrated love and compassion in the face of hate and personal harm. 

Earlier today I listened to his speech done on May 4, 1967, comdemning the Vietnam War. A year later on the exact day MLK was assasinated. I have listened to a number of his speeches including the 'I Have A Dream' speech in 1963. I listened to his last speech on May 3, 1968. This and the Vietnam War speech resonate with me.

 Much of what he spoke about is happening today; racism, militarism, and social injustice. More MLKs are needed to speak out and change conditions in America. People in other countries such as Greece, Spain, Irealand, and Italy are doing just that. On this occasion let's strive to fulfill the dream that Dr. King sacrificed his life for.

No comments: