Saturday, December 01, 2012

WORLD AIDS DAY

On this day, I am reminded of the millions of people who succumbed to the disease. I am mindful of the millions who are suffering. The HIV/AIDS crisis may not be in the headlines as it was thirty years ago but it's still a crisis today. New cases, particularly among young men of color and African American women are on the rise. 

I do not know anyone personally who died from AIDS but I know a few folks who had friends and partners die from it. A couple of years ago, I was at the community center on WORLD AIDS DAY. I listened to some classical music being played by an orchestra. When I heard that some of the instruments being used belonged to deceased partners or friends, I wept. The loss of so many gifted and talented people has been felt by the LGBT community in particular. 

I look forward to the day when this dreaded disease will no longer exist. There are successful treatments out there, though. Education is still needed because there is still stigmatization and ignorance about HIV/AIDS.   

No comments: