Friday, November 09, 2012

Coming Out Later in Life

I have been reading the stories of folks who discovered later in life that their sexuality or gender expression were different. Many of the people who commented discovered in their thirties, forties, fities, and even sixties. I was in my mid fifties when I discovered that I love wearing women's clothing.

I took note that not everyone knows that they're gay when they are children. A woman could discover that she attracted to women when she married. A man or woman may realize that they would be much happier as the other gender. Circumstances varied with each person but the results were life changing. What I see is the evolution of each person into their authentic and true identities. When they embraced it, they were much happier and complete.

I came out as a crossdresser then later saw that my feelings ran deeper than clothing. When I researched about my my concerns, that's when I discovered that I  was transgender. From time to time, my gender identity undergoes a shift. I have no desire to fully transition but I haven't closed the door to it. Some may think that I missed out on a lot by coming out late. I just believe that it was the right time for me to coming out in the world.

It's been over seven years since I came out as Gennee. This year I came out to more people. I will be coming out to more people in the future. 

No comments: