Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Standing Up

There has been an increase in attacks against LGBT people, and women of color in particular. Camila Guzman, a transgender woman, was murdered in her apartment in East Harlem, which is just a few miles from my home.

While I'm not surprised by what's happening, with the increased visibility of transgender people, justice to pass equality measures have been slow to come. I have found a place where I possible could be more involved in seeing that transgender people are cared for. You would think that, with all the injustice and violence in some respects, I would be afraid but I'm not.

All over the nation, and the world, transgender people are standing up. In my mind, this is a matter of life and death. I pray that LGBT organizations will see that what happens to transgender poeple will affect them.

~Genevieve

No comments: