Monday, December 28, 2009

2009-Year In Review

Every year I set goals rather than make resolutions. I put a time table as to when I will achieve a specific goal. This past year events happened in my life that was unplanned for. I am the better for it.

I identified as a cross dresser at the beginning of the year. In May I sensed a migration away from the cross dresser spectrum. It was always my contention that my gender issues ran deeper than just wearing women’s clothing. I have crossed many roads in my journey but this marked the first time that I hesitated going across.

In June I identified myself as a transgenderist. I wear women’s clothing all the time at home. I viewed myself being between a crossdresser and transsexual. A year before I researched what a transgenderist is. I sensed that I may be headed in this direction and it did happen. I was comfortable as a transgenderist. I also shared transgender issues with my bible study
group in June. It helped others understand what it is to be transgender.

In September I attended a veterans meeting where I am a member. I was dressed as a male. The president of the group asked why I didn’t come dressed as Gennee. I had thought about a few days before. From that moment on I said
that I would go dressed as a female. It was confirmation to me that I am viewed as a transgender woman.
In November I marched in the Veteran’s Day parade. The spectators cheered and clapped and thanked us for our service to our country. It didn’t matter how I identified. I also attended a Transgender Day of Remembrance ceremony nine days later. I shared a few words to the one hundred plus people in the audience. I encouraged them to be themselves.


Another shift occurred in early December. I migrated off the middle ground to where I now view myself as a transsexual. I have maintained that I’m not going to have reassignment surgery or take hormones. Felt that way when I first came out and still feel that way now. I always felt a kinship to transsexuals and now I know that I am one.

I would sum up 2009 as a year that more of my real identity came out. Being transgender is more complex than just how society sees me. I pray that in 2010 more people will understand that.



Genevieve






No comments: