Tuesday, October 06, 2009

More Than Gender and Sexuality

I have been editing my testimony of coming out. It's amazing how many events took place before, during and after coming out. The depth of the changes in my life is truly amazing. It hasn't been stressful by any stretch. In fact, I enjoy sharing it with in hopes that it will encourage someone.

Many changes are happening in our community all across the world. I want to be a part of the change. As I get older I have become involved with many causes and issues. Looking back I think my getting involved in something goes back to 1975 when I volunteered to usher at my local church. It was nice to be fed from the preaching but I wanted to put my energy and compassion into action.

Coming out is not only about gender and sexuality. To me, it's involving myself in someone else life or a cause for the betterment of others. I'm sure many of you have discovered talents and abilities you may not have known you possessed. I remember when I joined a grassroots organization, one of the tasks was calling volunteers on the phone. Normally I would have freaked out at such a prospect. When I proceded to make the calls I felt a connection with the people I spoke with. Many expressed heart felt appreciation that I called them back.

My point is don't sell yourself short. There's always someone who could use an encouraging word. How many of you came out of your shells when you touched someone else's life? Coming out does take courage, risk, and resolve that you can make a difference.

Genevieve

No comments: