Thursday, January 29, 2009

Best Laid Plans

I have reflected over the past several days over where this journey is taking me. In my bible discussion Tuesday evening, I shared that being transgender certainly was not in my plans. Crossdressing wasn't even on my radar. Sometimes our plans may not be what God has in mind for us.

There is a verse in Romans 8:28 which says that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them. I always knew that there was a purpose in life for me. I didn't know what it was but I never doubted for a moment that there was a goal or need to I was to fulfill. It may account for the life long feeling that I was different.

I remember times when nothing seem to work out. The trials and travails of life led me to a personal relationship with God. I remember the dry periods where nothing seemed to quench the parched landscape of my heart. I remember the several years of yearnings, struggles, and disappointments prior to my coming out. It was as if I was wandering through the wilderness with no direction.

All throughout history, ordinary people have performed extraordinary acts. It resulted in the improvement of many lives. Many of the scientific, social, and economic advances never would have happened if someone wasn't willing to step out from among the crowds. I could have chosen to reject the fact that I was transgender. I would have missed out on meeting people who are ostracized because of gender identity and sexual orientation. God does not create clones. No two people are alike.

Just because our original plans may not have worked out doesn't mean that our lives are over. Life never goes in a straight line. It's not that difficulties won't come but it's how we respond when challenges do come. I am so happy that I chose to embrace my gender identity. The result was inner peace and contentment. I have also come to love a group of people that aren't always loved.

God has always loved the poor, the downtrodden, the foreigner, the widow, and the fatherless and motherless, and the oppressed. I believe that glbt people are among them. I am so glad that my plans didn't work out.

Genevieve

2 comments:

Monica Roberts said...

I never imagined I'd be living in Louisville and have this blog. I saw my life going in a much different direction.

So I definitely feel you on that issue of plans not working out.

But I'm trying to just let go, let God and enjoy the journey to the destination.

genevieve said...

The journey is the best part.