Thursday, December 18, 2008

Fringe Benefits

I have achieved many of the goals that set this past January. I also acheived some things I never expected. One of those benefits was to realize how intertwined my life is with the whole LGBT community. Five years ago, there was no way I could have envisioned that I would be a part of this diverse community.

During these days of reflection, I realize what things are really important to me. Coming out only three plus years ago, I feel that I have a pulse on many sides of the gender divide. Transgender people have a rich history that's always existed but was either hidden or ignored. I also have spoken out more about the mistreatment transgender people receive from social and religious institutions.

These benefits are something I never sought or thought of. It just was presented to me and I decided to meet the challenges. It been said that crisis can bring out attributes you never knew you possessed. That's certainly been the case with me. I have Native-American ancestry, so it's very possible that a Native-American prophecy is beng fulfilled in my life. I'm not afraid about where my journey will carry me. I just pray that other people will benefit from my example.

I find it odd that society says that we're an abomination and yet we've contributed more to the betterment of humanity than given credit for. It's very possible that we are debunking a lot of myths about gender and sexuality. I've said a lot here in this particular blog but encouragement and love are needed in great supply during this time of year.

No comments: