Thursday, September 04, 2008

A Promising Autumn

The summer is nearly over but the autumn looks even more promising. Putting into action the things that I profess will be the main agenda. I have been out in public much more and I plan on staying out. The colors of the foliage will change soon but I desire to be a blossom during the now and during the long cold months of winter.

I will be attending Soulforce's Seven Straight Nights events. I want to be out bringing the needs of GLBT people to the public. It is taking place in various cities across the country. I promised my spouse that I would take her to a reading/poetry session. I have one scheduled for the fourth week of this month. It is something that I will do every month, if possible.

Being out in public was one goal that I set at the beginning of the year. I have more than met it. I'm not out looking for attention. I'm just being myself. I have received compliments from a few folks mostly women. I have been out in my neighborhood quite a bit without incident. I never felt thought that this would be so enriching but it has. I'm enjoying every moment.

I have visited a few places that reminded me of my childhood and young manhood. I visited some old Catholic churches. I'm surprised that I still remember some of the tenets of the Catholic faith. I just stopped there to rest and pray. I have trolled through the East Village where social and radical activities were quite vibrant 40 years ago. I also feel home here because it is a feisty neighborhood withstanding the tenticles of gentrification.

I find it amazing that I wasn't active politically in '60s and '70s but I am now. It is a mater of choice that I am an activist. A quiet unassuming crossdresser is now involved in the battle for equality for GLBT people. I have always considered myself an outsider and I feel very comfortable doing what's not expected.

Genevieve

No comments: