Sunday, April 27, 2008

I lie in bed this morning reminiscing over the many labels that us transgenders have put on us. I thought more about what I refer myself as. I'm comfortable with the ones that I call myself though I never let those labels define me. In a strange way I find for myself empowered by them.
I am transgender, transvestite, queer, heterosexual, and androgynous. I'm not ashamed to call myself these because they accurately describe how I see myself inwardly. When I embraced crossdressing and transgender identity, it changed my perception about how gender is constructed by the medical establishment. Just as no two people are alike, there are no two people alike in expressing their gender/sexuality.
I feel that I have been set free from the constraints of what others say about what I should be. I see the many forces trying to tell us who we are and what we should be. I ask who does that benefit? How many transgender people have committed suicide because of this nonsense. I love the title of Kate Bornstein's book 'Gender Outlaw' because I am transgressing the gender binary system.
Yes, I'm very,very content about how I describe myself and about how I feel about who I am. If people call me transgender or transvestite or queer, I'm ok with it. I feel honored by it.

3 comments:

genevieve said...

I feel the same way, too.

Vanessa Leigh said...

Genevieve:

What a beautiful name!!!!

I agree as far as labels go. For me, when I arm myself with all of the words that at times can be used against me, like lezzie, queer, dyke, fag, etc., it takes the power away from them. The words when used in an attacking way don't hurt what is inside my heart and soul; my true, authentic self. I will visit again..... Vanessa

genevieve said...

Thank you for your kind words, Vanessa. I've always like 'Genevieve' because there something regal and romantic about it.