Wednesday, February 06, 2008

continued from 2/3

Gender fluidity is accepted in many cultures. I have Native American ancestry in my genealogy. Cross dressing, gender fluidity, and transgenderism is a part of many Native American tribes. It is also common in tribes in Africa, Asia, and South America. It was evident in biblical times where eunuchs were eventually included in the assembly of God.
I am comfortable with my transgender identity. It isn't someone that I chose but it is something that was inside of me. When it became evident to me that I was transgender, I embraced it. Many GLBTQI folks knew that they were different as children. There is no crime in being different.
Jesus acknowledged that some people were born to be eunuchs while others were made that way by man or chose to be eunuchs (Matt. 19:11-12). Jesus also mentioned to there are some who could not accept this. Those who try to make someone into what they are not does much harm and damage to the people (see ex-gay ministries).
Contrary to what some religious institutions might think, there were LGBTQI people throughout the bible. They may not be identified but I firmly believe that we were plentiful in the early Christian church. We were loved by God and accepted as we were. Today, God still loves and accepts us. We are everywhere and making our mark in spite of great odds against us.

No comments: