Thursday, May 17, 2007

I attended a writing workshop at college on Tuesday evening. Later I arrived at the community center in time to sit in a meeting about workplace discrimination against transgenders. I even won a prize in the raffle. Whoopee! I personally have not experienced any discrimination but I have heard some stories by others. It happens in schools a lot from what I hear.

Thinking about it now, I will be confronted with these issues when I start teaching. As a transgender and crossdresser, I want to be prepared so I can handle these situations without incident. LGBT students have a hard time as it is. We have a right to enjoy our school experiences without harassment and bullying.

I have been involved with a couple of groups but I would like to do more in the transgender community. I don't want to overextend myself because of other responsibilities. One of my future goals is get a degree in gender studies.

No comments: