Saturday, March 06, 2021

COMMENTARY-CANCEL CULTURE

This week Dr. Seuss's books were declared unacceptable by cancel culture.  Statues have been knocked down. If anyone disagrees with the left, they are vilified, their livelihoods, taken away, and reputations destroyed. They want to tell everyone how to think and what to believe. I'm having none of it. 

I'm a person of color. I know what racism and prejudice is. I've seen some horrible pictures of black people who were murdered. I remember a number of years ago viewing a picture of a black boy screaming for his mother as she was taken away in chains. Revisionist history is a lie which is saying that these events did not exist. This does a disservice to the people affected and to the people who desire to know what actually happened. 

Cancel culture is a bunch of people who think that they are doing a service to right the wrongs of the past. Many horrendous events happened throughout history and nothing can change that. One can learn from it. Regarding the statues being torn down, the majority of them are of people I have never heard of. If I'm interested I will research who the individual. Part of education is gaining knowledge of the people or events. 

Now people are buying  Dr. Seuss's books like hotcakes. I have read some of his books and enjoyed them. I am liberal and have some friends who are conservative. I want to have a dialogue with them so the problems in the country can be dealt with and resolved. There are people on both sides of the aisle who desire this. Cancel culture doesn't want that. They create more problems. With them, it's their way or they will destroy you.

More folks, liberal and conservative, need to challenge the cancel culture. They don't have a market on ideas because they don't have any solutions. They live in a utopia that does not exist. If America is to move forward there needs to be united, not divided. I believe that the ills of the country can be resolved. Let us work together.

No comments: