Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Ageism

There are many isms (too many) which affect us personally or other people. One ism that is sometimes overlooked is ageism. It has affected me (I'm 66) and many others. It affects a number of areas in people's lives; employment, dating, available resources (unlike young people who have many resources) to name a few.

For transgender people this can be a double whammy. I think about this on occasion, especially concerning medical care. What would happen if I collapsed on the street and am taken to a hospital and the medical staff refuse to treat me because I'm trans. I haven't faced this situation (thankfully)but it is a thought.  

Ageism is a problem that needs to be dealt with. As a transgender person we need to not let it affect how we live. I absolutely refuse to live in fear. Do whatever we can to make our feelings felt. When you get senior citizens united for a cause, they are a tough and resilient group who will not back down.

No comments: