Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014-Summary

In a couple of days, the new year will begin. I have some highlights for 2014, one of them being the increased visibility of transgender people. Transgender people of color were honored more so than usual and that's good. Laverne Cox and Janet Mock set the standard for what we are about and what we still need to accomplish.  

On several occasions I educated people about being transgender and the transgender experience. Many expressed their gratitude for clearing up some of the misconceptions and questions they had. I overcame my fear of going into the ladies restroom. I was just another lady to the other women. I even received compliments on my attire. 

I saw how blessed I am when I was going through a down period in May. A dear woman confined to a wheelchair came outside from a church service. Seeing people in a wheelchair is common but my eyes focused on this woman. I thought that at one time she was young, vibrant and could go anywhere that she wanted. Now she needed help just to stand up. I thought that in spite of her limitations I detested no bitterness or feeling like a victim. That event cleared away the dark clouds hovering over me. 

I'm praying that 2015 will be even better. I'm presently setting my goals for the year (an annual ritual). Here's wishing you a Happy New Year. 

No comments: