Friday, November 19, 2010

TDOR Ceremonies

Tonight I will be attending TDOR ceremonies at the community center. The purpose is honor transpeople who have been lost to violence and suicide. As my sister Monica Roberts so eloquently states in her blog, it's not the time to party.

I enocourage folks to attend a ceremony near you. It's a sober and and sometimes sad experience but it's also reality. Trans people are murdered every day just for being who they are. I love my trans brothers and sisters and do whatever I can to educate the public about us.

~Genevieve

2 comments:

lisalee18wheeler said...

I used to be like you. I used to think like you. I accepted things transgender at face value. I worried and feared. But as I interacted with the outside world, I realized that some of what I read and heard wasn't jiving with what I was experiencing. I started reading other sources and my eyes were opened.

I decided, and rightly so in my case, to take the red pill.

I won't tell you what to think, that's not my right. But I will suggest you find other sources of information that are different than you're used to.

And then, maybe, you'll decide to take the red pill also...

Lisalee :-)

genevieve said...

Lisalee, the struggle has to continue because it is the right thing for me to do. I know the reality of what we face and go through. When I came out 5 1/2 years I said I was out to those I came out to. I wasn't going to let anyone intimidate me or threaten me back in the closet.

There will always be people who won't like us. I don't concern myself with that. There are people who do support us and there are people that need our help. This is what I focus on.