Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Breaking Barriers

I have been wearing a skirt the past week. My son's girlfriend saw me wearing it today. I could hear her laughing in the next room. Ah, well. Another barrier broken. I feel so comfortable in them.
I have had time to reflect on transgender issues and LGBT in particular. While progress has been made there's still much to do. Generally, as in all struggles, there are common threads that run through all parties involved. Some are out there and known to all concerned. Others are not so discernable. Then there are those threads which are there and need to be dealt with. These are the ones I will touch on.

The first is that there are many people who still do not know what transgender is. There are some who do understand what transgender is about, there are many more who do not. What gets me is that some refuse to discuss the matter and choose to remain ignorant. Education is still needed on the part of school officials, parents, legislators, prison officials, and the general public.

Second, those who perpetrate bigotry and hate will, in the future, confront it face to face. A number of our social institutions were responsnible for countless suffering of slaves, women, Native-Americans and now transgender people. I am a born again Christian and the vitriole spewed against LGBT folks from so-called Christians is very repulsive. Some of these churches are realizing that there are LGBT people in their midsts. Certain denominations are having to deal with allowing LGBT folks to be ordained, married, lay ministers, teachers, and worshippers. Schools are having to deal with LGBT boys and girls. Yes, we're everywhere.

I have so much hope for our young people because many choose to be who they are. Many schools across the country have LGBT organizations to help the students. As an older transgender person, this brings me much joy. Change can be a positive. I believe many institutions would be enriched by the many contributions , skills, and talents of LGBT people. I pray that someday they will recognize this.

No comments: