Sunday, March 09, 2008

I was looking over some old short stories I had written several years ago. I fancied myself being a stripper, a leather enthusiast,and a connoisseur of the alternative lifestyle. I never actually participated in these things because they didn't really fit me.

As I think about it now, my gender questioning started around this time and I didn't know it. I was writing about something that I did not understand. This was around 2001 or 2002. I have long believed that people are a dichotomy of two people, the feminine and the masculine. Many people won't admit that they have both for fear of being labeled weird, soft, or not manly or feminine. The feeling that I was different was strong at this time.

Finding where one fits in can be a long and arduous task. When I found out that I was transgender, the next task was to feel comfortable in my new identity. I was over a year before I felt comfortable and content with my identity.

Maybe this was God's way of leading me to the place to where I am today. I'm still exploring my identity and seeing where the journey will take me. Perhaps my successes will encourage others who are struggling.

Genevieve

No comments: