Monday, July 06, 2015

Post Pride

We are in the second half of 2015. The June pride events here in New York are over. Now the work continues. ENDA and GENDA (here in New York state) both need to be passed. I'm taking a more active approach in the latter because GENDA is long overdue.  

I'm happy that marriage equality became the law of the land but in San Francisco it overshadowed the trans pride march. It reminded me of shortly after the Stonewall Riots in 1969, when transgender and gender-variant people (especially people of color) were shut out of the decision making process. Seems that I'm leaning toward being a historian because transgender people are being whitewashed from TGLG history. We helped shape many of the social movements throughout history. I refuse to see our influence pushed aside for assimilation and political correctness.

Plans are pride 2016 are being made now. I pray that ENDA and GENDA will be passed by next pride. I was encouraged by the large number of young people in the parade. I pray that this will lead into more grassroots activism. 

No comments: