Monday, March 10, 2014

New Day Here

More and more I see many municipalities, school administrations, and law and legal institutions, and religious organizations grappling with TGLB rights. Some seem so surprised that such an issue would come up. There was a time when such topics as gay an lesbian rights and transgender protections was taboo. Well, that day has ended.

I was reading my emails and took note of many places you wouldn't think would be talking about TGLB concerns much less voting on them. Places like Kansas, Nebraska, Georgia, Wyoming and Mississippi. Countries in Africa, Latin and South America and Europe are now having to discuss and take action on the issue. I wonder what happens when the people making these decisions discover that their son or daughter is gay. What do they think when their child tells them that they believe are opposite of their birth gender. I often wonder if some folks who are staunch enemies of TGLB rights are struggling with same sex attractions. I truly do wonder about this, but I digress.

To me, this is an exciting time in history. Being a part of te change is very exciting and scary. I know what could happen but it's worth it. Being a part of something bigger than me is a challenge that I welcome and embrace.  

No comments: