Friday, February 04, 2011

Difference Is Good

In the book that I'm currently reading, a young teen named Kelley knew she was lesbian. She didn't want to be different but saw that she was. Her story reminded me of the struggles of my feeling different.

When people think of difference they may think oddball, or rebel, or freak, or not not in their class or social group. Believe me, I've felt those barbs from time to time. Society has been blessed by people who are different. Folks who think outside the box have contributed much to the advancedment of social and political issues.

Difference is good because it spices up life. A rich mosiac is formed when people are allowed to thrive and blossom. When those who are not within the strict confines of societal conformity, they are often shunned, ignored, or shunted to the sidelines of life. It's a shame because rich relationships are not formed and developed.

Looking over my life, I always felt a kinship to those who are outside the norm. Now that I have discovered my own difference in gender, I have a better understanding of what it is to be an outsider. Yes I'm different and I embrace it wholeheartedly. As I trek on the roads of life, I surmise that there is a course that is set for me. Wherever it leads me, I am compelled to walk it.

Over the past few weeks, I have reflected on the roads crossed thus far. I wonder what roads I have to travel. I pray that people are encouraged to know that difference is good. You are you and I'm very happy that you are who you are.

~Genevieve

No comments: