Monday, January 16, 2017

Civil Disobedience

I was a nineteen year old college student when Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated in 1968. That was one of the most tumultuous years in America's history. Looking back now MLK's assassination opened my eyes as to how the power structure will resort to anything to stay in power.

As the country prepares for a new administration in Washington, it is time for us to carry on the tradition and activism of Dr. King by civil disobedience. I'm going to the Women's March On NYC this Saturday here in New York City. So far at least 10,000 people will be there (I figure that there will be more). A similar event will be held in Washington, D.C.  I will be more involved with social justice in regard to affordable housing. Justice for LGBTQ people is also something on my agenda. 

Protests are fine but it needs to be followed up with sustained pressure and a plan of action to correct the conditions that are ailing the communities. Here in my district a few of my so-called representatives are up for reelection this year and I have taken note on what they have and have not done. I'm fed up with officials won't do nothing for the people they allegedly represent. 
 I believe it's high time for all of us to defy the fascism, sexism, xenophobia, trans phobia and misogyny that has encroached on our freedoms. We the people need to show by our actions that we're not going to take this any longer.

No comments: