Friday, February 12, 2010

Deserts In Life


From time to time deserts come into my life. I appreciate these times because life slows down for me. I am reminded in Matthew 11:20 when the apostles returned from their preaching. Jesus encouraged them to come away from everything and rest a while. I imagaine that they were excited about all the good things that happened. Jesus also knew that they needed to rest and refuel. Sometimes I can be so busy that sooner or later I'll run out of gas.
One may feel that they've run out of ideas or words to say. If taken to extremes, people may think that what they do doesn't matter. In our fast paced society, resting is frowned upon . Your value is determined by meeting quotas, deadlines, and productivity. It can happen even in our gender dsicovery. We're excited about the discovery. We jump into every activity that we can. Then one day we crash. We ran out of gas. What happened we may ask.
In the nearly five years of my transgender journey, I have experienced many highs and a few lows. I have walked through lushed forests. I have trod through the deserts wondering where to go next. God reminds me that I need to come away awhile and rest.
At the present time I'm experiencing one of those dry periods. It may not look like there's much life in a desert but there is. We need to rest and quiet our spirits. Then we are able to hear God's voice. Everything that God does in our lives are for a purpose; even the deserts that we may trod upon.
Genevieve

No comments: