Friday, April 17, 2009

Poem from A Friend

I read a poem from a friend I met on another forum. I think it speaks to many of us.


***The Nurse***
---Yesterday---
You watched me stop your son's bleeding;
You were glad for me to do your daughter's tube feeding;
You begged me to save your significant other;
You pleaded for me to relieve the pain of a dying mother;
You said my work with the aged shows compassion;
You said all humanity should work in this fashion;

---Last night---
You saw me and a person eating dinner out;
You told your friends what my day had been about;
You knew me then with a show of gratitude;
You were thrilled with my caring attitude;
Then you saw me gently hold the hand of my lover;
Now showing hate and disdain your smile could not cover;

---Today---
You told your friends and their brothers;
The story grew as they told more and others;
The feelings of fear and betrayal and rage;
Continued to grow as the story passed through the day;
Someone said "a call to arms is what we need";
Then fear and contempt turned from words to deeds;

---Tonight---
They arrive, in the dark, at my door;
With sticks and clubs and fists they beat me to the floor;
As blood spills and splatters and consciousness lags;
I hear the words queer, homo, lesbian, and fag;
I pray for an end to the torture, suffering, and pain;
To continue to breathe I have nothing left to gain;

---Tomorrow---
You attend the service out of social obligation and morbid fascination;
After all I was a member of every school, church, and social organization;
Your child said "They only killed a queer, it could be worse";
My child said "That queer was my mother and your nurse";
You have taught your sons and daughters well;
You have taught them to hate and kill and condemn to hell;

Kat(Copyright, L. K. Jackson, 2007)

No comments: