Monday, April 13, 2009

Can't Go Back

Many states are considering whether to pass anti-discrimination laws. Iowa and Vermont have passed marriage equality laws. The latter reversed itself regarding protections for transgender people. South Dakota, North Dakota, Illinois, Rhode Island,Connecticut,and Maryland are considering whether to pass marriage equality/anti-discrimination laws.

The one constant in all this is the ignorance of the opponents in regards to the lives of transgender people. We are equated to being perverts who prey on children and women in public bathrooms. Since when was this a bathroom issue? Once again lies and inuendo is being spread to confuse the public. What annoys me is when the opposition says being transgender is a choice.

Over the past few weeks I have mulled over where my journey will lead next. I have some tough decisions to make and they will be made. I have met gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer folks who are struggling with coming out, shame, harassment, bullying, and acceptance. To say that sexual orientation and gender identity is a choice is insulting and demeaning, in my opinion.

The attacks by our opponents are becoming more vicious. One of the decisions I have made is to educate others about what it is to be transgender. I never made the choice to be transgender. It was something that was in-born and no one can tell me not to be who I am.

I am a Christian and the plight of lgbt people has compelled me to study what the bible really says about us. I am convinced that God loves us as we are.

I am happy that progress is being made but I'll be even more happy if those we educate will see us as people who have dreams, talents, creativity and love.

Genevieve

2 comments:

David said...

I'm struggling really hard with my gender. My logical mind is telling me that I don't have gender issues, and I really don't know if its right or wrong.

The whole saga is in my blog...

Tim said...

Genevieve, education and awareness will indeed make the difference. And the Iowa and Vermont events give me great hope that the haters are losing ground quickly. While we can't expect they'll fade completely from the scene, it seems our country is waking up to the fact that same-sex marriage is a civil rights issue. I keep seeing evidence that a lot of this foul propaganda the extreme right keeps stirring up is falling on deaf ears.

May God will it so!

Blessings always,
Tim