Monday, February 09, 2009

Vets Meeting

Yesterday I attended my monthy veterans meeting. I am a member of the America Veterans for Equal Rights (AVER). I remember when I attended my first meeting two years ago. I never desired to be a part of a vets group but I felt at home. AVER is the only glbt veterans group in New York. There are a number of transgender veterans in the group. A transgender woman came to the meeting yesterday. Business was discussed, plans were made for future activities and ideas thrashed out.

I am proud of being a trasngender veteran. At the time I was in the service I never knew that I was transgender until a few years ago. Just because I was in the macho world of the military, it didn't do anything to quench the feelings of difference that were in me. I knew of gay and lesbian soldiers in my unit. It didn't matter to me because they were my comrades.

One of horrible pieces of legislation is the 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell ' amendment". Many intelligent and skilled lgbt soldiers are discharged from the service if their gender or sexual orientation differed from the norm. Transgender soldiers have served in the military throughout the history of this country. Some have paid the ultimate sacrifice and yet they could not be open about who they are .

American Veterans for Equal Rights is working to get 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell repealed. They are working to make sure that lgbt vets get the services they are entitled to. This is what I'm concerned about.

1 comment:

Cameron Partridge said...

Hi Genevieve,

I wondered if you've seen http://combatqueer.typepad.com/my_weblog/

if more trans vets could be among the supportive community of folks reading this currently enlisted trans person's blog, I bet it would be a good thing.

peace,

Cameron