Sunday, February 22, 2009

Part Two

On my post from Friday, I read the quote by this great leader and decided to do a follow-up. Like African Americans did during the civil rights movement, transgender people are standing up to inequality and discrimination.

When I came out I made a choice that I was not going back into the closet. I have chosen to be out in public and express who I am. I have chosen to respond to those who say we are evil and perverted. Granted, it may not get any publicity but I'm sure many others are doing the same. With many of the transgender deaths being women of color, I could not sit idly by while some transphobe spews his vitriole at my sisters, brothers, children, and friends. I never sought to be an activist but I had to take action.

When I meditated further on Mister Rustin's quote, I surmised because transgender people are standing up the attacks are more violent and vicious. The dignity of every person is worth standing up for. I have chosen to stand up for those who are oppressed. Brother Rustin is right about dignity being conferred on people who stand up. Many more are needed.

Genevieve

No comments: