Thursday, October 23, 2008

Still Exploring and Growing

I looked up the definition of explore in Webster's dictionary. It means to range over (area) for the purpose of discovery. Another meaning is to look into closely: investigate or examine. I like the second definition better because gender is something that I looked into closely.

Explorers are people who will look into something that is new. They will discover new ideas, lands, or concepts. If it were not their willingness to take risks, this country would be far different than it is at the present time. I think if people were allowed to freely explore gender, many of the misconceptions about it would come into focus. Young people are coming out at early ages about gender/sexuality. It's a great thing because now the greater society has to examine and investigate gender and sexuality closely. It cannot be pushed to the fringes any longer, no matter how hard they try.

When I discovered my own trangenderism, I could have pushed it to the fringes of my mind or investigate more closely. Fortunately I chose the latter, and I'm thankful I did. Too many parents shield their children from any kind of struggle or risk. Struggle is good because it strengthens resolve and stretches the mind. Life is not static and neither is gender expression. I have embraced the feminine side of me with gratitude. As a young boy I was always curious about many things. It was put aside in my mid twenties and resumed again a few years ago in my fifties. Now I feel complete and liberated.

I'm still exploring gender, having discovered many more parts of my being. People should be allowed to explore who they are and where they fit in. Life is too short and I don't wanted to be limited by so-called binary systems or even my own doubts. There's still many roads to cross and tred.

Genevieve

No comments: