Sunday, August 24, 2008

BEING VISIBLE AND VIBRANT

This past Friday, I was out in public dressed in a light blue flower print skirt, blue flats and light blue pullover. I was out to the public by my actions. It's second nature for me to be this way because it is who I am. Last week I was out four consecutive days (Friday thru Monday) dressed as Genevieve.

It is at the point in my life that I must be myself. I can't dress every day because of other obligations. It doesn't change who I am inside. With the many issues concerning trangender folks coming up, it is important for us to be visible to the public if they are going to take us seriously. I have been in a church service, restaurant, stores, the park, and public transportation quite visible to others.

Another concern of mine is how institutions, particularly religious institutions, will handle LGBT concerns. I am a born again Christian who is also transgender. A few denominations are wrestling with whether or not GLBT men and women should be ordained and GLBT worshippers welcomed and affirmed in their congregations. For the church and ministers to treat GLBT people with contempt and disdain is a stench in God's nostrils.

I mentioned earlier that I did attend a church service. It happened last Friday and was unexpected. I came earlier to rest and pray for friends. I noticed two candles lit on each side of the altar. Soon the pipe organ played and the priest came out (it was a Catholic church). They were a many worshippers in attendance for this noon day service. No one paid any attention to me. I acknowledged some nods during one point during acknowledgement of peace. I was very happy to have attended. God didn't reject me. He doesn't reject anyone.

I will be out much more and will talk to more folks. I'm not ashamed of who I am and don't feel guilty at all about wearing women's clothing. Transgender people are speaking up and becoming more visible. It's time.

No comments: