Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Passing Thoughts

I have been reflecting on the past pride march here in New York. It was the largest parade ever. I was busy pouring water to serve the thirsty marchers. Last Friday I recited a poem titled "Pride". 

Tomorrow will be the 48th anniversary of the Stonewall Rebellion, a turning point in the TGLBQ movement. Drag queens, street people, trans, and people of color stood up to the police and said 'No more!' I was out of town when the initial rebellion began. I came to the site a couple of days later viewing the aftermath. The Stonewall Inn burned out, streets littered with trash cans and refuse, and the air still filled with tension. Deep inside I believed that something big would happen and it did. We could be ourselves and not hide any more. We are human beings!

I give thanks to folks like Marsha P. Johnson, Sylvia Rivera, Miss Major, Storme Delaverie and others for paving the way to where we have the resources to care for ourselves. There was a time we had nothing. Now we can live openly and unashamed. I have taken it upon myself to see that the trans presence is never erased. We started the rebellion! I am eternally grateful to my ancestors.

No comments: